Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Amos 5:14, 24, Deuteronomy 30:14, Colossians 1:15-20, Psalm 69:17, 30 & 34, Luke 10:29-37

Amos 5:14 & 24
Seek good and shun evil, that you may live.  Then Yahweh, the God of hosts, as you  have claimed will be with you.  Let justice run its course like water and righteousness be like an ever flowing river.


Beloved, Your word for me today is clear.  If I want You to be Emmanuel and if I want eternal life, I must seek good and turn my back on evil in all its forms.  May Your justice always be tempered with Your compassion, kindness and infinite love.  You are the all-righteous judge and if You come to me as such I have no hope.  Instead Beloved, I seek You as my Lord, Redeemer, Savior, Teacher, Master, Brother, Friend and Spouse.


Deuteronomy 30:14
"On the contrary, my word is very near you; it is already in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can put it into practice."


Beloved, how consoling this verse is.  You Eternal Word are very near me.  It is in my mouth and heart when I receive You in the Eucharist, or when I speak of You. You are always within me as I meditate on You and make Your word the rule of my life.


Colossians 1:15-20
• 15 He is the image of the unseen God,
and for all creation he is the firstborn,
16 for in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth,
visible and invisible:
thrones, rulers, authorities, powers…
All was made through him and for him.
17 He is before all
and all things hold together in him.
18 And he is the head of the body, that is the Church,
for he is the first, the first raised from the dead
that he may be the first in everything,
19 for God was pleased to let fullness dwell in him.
20 Through him God willed to reconcile all things to himself,
and through him, through his blood shed on the cross,
God establishes peace,
on earth as in heaven.

These verses are like music, heavenly music.  How beautifully St. Paul writes Lord.  I wish I could use words so masterfully in speaking or writing about You O Eternal Word of God.

Psalm 69
17  In your mercy, O Lord, give me a good answer; in your great compassion, turn to me.30 But I myself am humbled and wounded; your salvation, O God, will lift me up.34  For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise those in captivity.
36 For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah. His people shall dwell in the land and possess it;
37 the children of his servants shall inherit it, and those who love his name will dwell in it.

In Your time and according to Your will answer me my Lord with Your ever present help.  Your answer, what ever it may be is perfect - even if it may not be as I desired it to be.  You always hear the cry of those who seek You with sincerity.  You promise to save Your own, You promise salvation and eternal life not only to me but to my children too.  May we all live to love and honor Your most holy Name forever.

Luke 10:29-37
29 The man wanted to keep up appearances, so he replied, “Who is my neighbor?” 
30 Jesus then said, “There was a man going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him, beat him and went off leaving him half-dead. 
31 It happened that a priest was going along that road and saw the man, but passed by on the other side. 32 Like wise a Levite saw the man and passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, too, was going that way, and when he came upon the man, he was moved with compassion. 34 He went over to him and treated his wounds with oil and wine and wrap ped them with bandages. Then he put him on his own mount and brought him to an inn where he took care of him. 
35 The next day he had to set off, but he gave two silver coins to the innkeeper and told him: ‘Take care of him and whatever you spend on him, I will repay when I come back.’” 
36 Jesus then asked, “Which of these three, do you think, made himself neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” 37 The teacher of the Law answered, “the one who had mercy on him.” And Jesus said, “Go then and do the same.”

In the homily Fr. Franco said that we must move from pity to compassion to commitment.  Our lives must be ruled by love of God which must express itself in love for neighbor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment