Search This Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Jeremiah 15:16, Jeremiah 16:19, Galatians 6:14, Psalm 66:20, Luke 10:2-4, 17-20

Jeremiah 15:16
I devoured Your words when they came.  They were my happiness and I felt full of joy when You made Your Name rest on me.

Jeremiah 16:19
Yahweh my strength and my fortress, my refuge in times of distress.

Isaiah 66:10-14
1“Rejoice for Jerusalem and be glad for  her, all you who love her. Be glad with her, rejoice with her, all you who were in grief over her, 11 that you may suck of the milk from her comforting breasts, that you may drink deeply from the abundance of her glory.”
12 For this is what Yahweh says: I will send her peace, overflowing like a river; and the nations’ wealth, rushing like a torrent towards her.
And you will be nursed and carried in her arms and fondled upon her lap.
13 As a son comforted by his mother, so will I comfort you. 14 At the sight of this, your heart will rejoice; like grass, your bones will flourish. For it shall be known that Yahweh’s hand is with his servant, but his fury is upon his enemy.

Galatians 6:14
14 For me, I do not wish to take pride in anything except in the cross of Christ Jesus our Lord. Through him the world has been crucified to me and I to the world.15 Let us no longer speak of the circumcised and of non-Jews, but of a new creation. 16Let those who live according to this rule receive peace and mercy: they are the Israel of God! 17 Let no one trouble me any longer: for my part, I bear in my body the marks of Jesus.
18 May the grace of Christ Je­sus our Lord be with your spirit brothers and sisters. Amen.

Psalm 66:20
20 May God be blessed!
He has not rejected my prayer;
nor withheld his love from me.

Luke 10:2-4, 17-20
And he said to them, “The harvest is rich, but the workers are few. So you must ask the Lord of the harvest to send workers to his harvest. Courage! I am sending you like lambs among wolves. Set off without purse or bag or sandals; and do not stop at the homes of those you know.
 17 The seventy-two disciples returned full of joy. They said, “Lord, even the demons obeyed us when we called on your name.” 18 Then Jesus replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 You see, I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the Enemy, so that nothing will harm you. 20 Nevertheless, don’t rejoice because the evil spirits submit to you; rejoice rather that your names are written in heaven.”

In all three readings of the day You speak of the Church You have established on earth.  In Isaiah when You speak of the blessings the comfort and joy that shall flow from Jerusalem, it is an image of the New Jerusalem.  St. Paul reminds us that nothing is more important that following You my Lord and the  Cross.  The world is well lost for those who embrace You.  Why should we boast in Your Cross Beloved?  Because through it You have won for us the crown of eternal life.  Without Your passion, death and glorious resurrection, we would have no hope.  Thank You for the hope we have because of You.

If we choose to put all our faith and trust in You, nothing will be lacking, for You will provide for all our needs.  When we surrender all to You Beloved, You in turn give us all we need.  We will lack nothing. 

Here You demonstrate how Satan is powerless before Your Holy Name.  Let us not be afraid but step out boldly in faith for no evil can touch those who belong to Your Kingdom. Those whose names You've written in the Book of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment