Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Jeremiah 20:9, Wisdom 3:1-9, Romans 5:5-11, Luke 23;44-46, 50-53, 24:1-6, Psalm 23:1-6

You may find that these readings are different from those who heard at Mass today.  This is the selection that has been chosen in my Bible Dairy

Jeremiah 20:99
So I decided to forget about him
and speak no more in his name.
But his word in my heart becomes like a fire
burning deep within my bones.
I try so hard to hold it in,
but I cannot do it.


Let this verse be true about me O Living Word that gives life and sustains all created things.  May Your Word enclosed in my heart, become a blazing fire.  May its force be so fierce and powerful that it penetrates deep into my bones, marrow, muscles and cells.  Should I try to hold It back may it burst forth like an explosion.  May it be impossible for me not to speak Your holy and mighty word - first, foremost and above all, by the daily witness of my life in all the ordinary ways of daily living, laughing, smiling, working.  May Your Presence, active in my life, spill over into every little thing I say and do. Amen.



Wisdom 3:1-9
1 The souls of the just are in the hands of God and no torment shall touch them.
2 In the eyes of the unwise they appear to be dead. Their going is held as a disaster; 3 it seems that they lose ev­ery­thing by departing from us, but they are in peace.
4 Though seemingly they have been punished, immortality was the soul of their hope. 5 After slight affliction will come great blessings, for God has tried them and found them worthy to be with him; 6 after testing them as gold in the furnace, he has accepted them as a holocaust.
7 At the time of his coming they will shine like sparks that run in the stubble. 8 They will govern nations and rule over peoples, and the Lord will be their king forever.
9 Those who trust in him will penetrate the truth, those who are faithful will live with him in love, for his grace and mercy are for his chosen ones.


My own true God, my Beloved and my King, how wonderfully consoling are these verses not only for all the souls who are now in purgatory, but also for our own loved ones who after a slight affliction, will be with You eternally.  We do know that nothing  unclean can enter Your Holy Presence and so we need to be thrust into the fiery furnace of Your love and be purified like gold, before we can enter Your glorious Presence and sing Your praises eternally.



Romans 5:5-11
5 and hope does not disappoint us because the Holy Spirit has been given to us, pouring into our hearts the love of God.
6 Consider, moreover, the time that Christ died for us: when we were still helpless and unable to do anything. 7 Few would accept to die for an upright person; although, for a very good person, perhaps someone would dare to die. 8 But see how God manifested his love for us: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us 9 and we have become just through his blood. With much more reason now he will save us from any condemnation. 10 Once enemies, we have been reconciled with God through the death of his Son; with much more reason now we may be saved through his life. 11 Not only that; we even boast in God be­cause of Christ Jesus, our Lord, through whom we have been reconciled.


Luke 23;44-46, 50-53, 24:1-6
44 It was now about noon. 45 The sun was hid­den and darkness came over the whole land until mid-afternoon; and at that time the curtain of the Sanctuary was torn in two. 46 Then Jesus gave a loud cry, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” And saying that, he gave up his spirit.
50 Then intervened a member of the Jewish supreme coun­cil, a good and righteous man named Joseph 51 from the Judean town of Arimathea. He had not agreed with the decision and action of his fellow members, for he lived uprightly in the hope of seeing the kingdom of God. 52 He went to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body. 53 He then took it down, wrapped it in a linen cloth and laid it in a yet unused tomb cut out of a rock.
• 1 On the sabbath the women rested according to the commandment, but the first day of the week, at dawn, they went to the tomb with the perfumes and ointments they had prepared. 2 Seeing the stone rolled away from the opening of the tomb, 3 they entered and were puzzled to find that the body of the Lord Jesus was not there.
4 Two men in dazzling garments appeared beside them. 5 In fright the women bowed to the ground. But the men said, “Why look for the living among the dead? 6 (You won’t find him here. He is risen.)

Beloved,  how beautifully the verses in today's passage speak about the time of Your death and Resurrection.  Man killed God and the world was plunged in darkness when You gave up Your Spirit.  The sun hid itself in shame at what man, who had no shame, had done.  There will always be a few good men and women who will do what needs to be done like Joseph of Arimathea and the women who came to the tomb with perfumes and ointment. The verses that give  us the glorious account of the empty tomb gives every believer reason for hope.  Thank You!!!




1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside the still waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me through the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Although I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil,
for you are beside me:
your rod and your staff comfort me.
5 You spread a table before me
in the presence of my foes.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup is overflowing.
6 Goodness and kindness will follow me
all the days of my life,
I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

Beloved, this is the most comforting of psalms.  It has given me hope in times when I needed it most.  I have repeated the first two lines of this psalm over and over again in difficult times and I have drawn consolation and strength from its truth.  I believe that You Lord are my Shepherd, having You,  there is absolutely nothing I shall ever want.  Every soul who believes, hopes and trusts in You can  have the same joy of knowing that this perfect trust in You will lead them safely to their eternal home with You.
Psalm 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment