Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

2 Chronicles 6:18-21, Ezekiel 47 1-2, 8-9, 12, 1 Corinthians 9-11, 16-17, John 2:13-22, Psalm 46:3-6, 8, 11

2Chronicles 6:18-21
18 Yet will God really live with men and women on the earth? Why, the heavens and their own heavens cannot contain you! How much less this house that I have built! 19 Listen to the prayer and grant the requests of your servant, Yahweh my God; listen to the cry and to the prayer your servant makes to you. 20 Day and night let your eyes watch over this house, where you have promised that your Name would be.
21 Hear the prayers of your servant and of Israel your people as they pray in this place. From heaven where your dwelling is, hear; and, as you hear, forgive.


Beloved, You have made my body the temple where Your Holy Spirit dwells. When I receive You in the Eucharist my heart closes around You and we are one. You whom the heavens cannot contain and for whom the earth is Your footstool descend upon me and unite me with Yourself. Hear my prayer my Lord, You and I know that I am a sinner, but I love You. Help me to overcome the flesh, the world and the devil with the power of your grace. Forgive me each time I fall and restore me in Your love always.

Ezekiel 47 1-2, 8-9, 12
1 The man brought me back to the entrance of the Temple and I saw water coming out from the threshold of the Temple and flowing eastwards. The Temple faced the east and the water flowed from the south side of the Tem­­ple, from the south side of the altar. 2 He then brought me out through the north gate and led me around the outside to the outer gate facing the east and there I saw the stream coming from the south side.
8 He said to me, “This water goes to the east, down to the Arabah, and when it flows into the sea of foul-smelling water, the water will become wholesome. 9 Wherever the river flows, swarms of creatures will live in it; fish will be plentiful and the sea water will become fresh. Wherever it flows, life will abound.
12 Near the river on both banks there will be all kinds of fruit trees with foliage that will not wither and fruit that will never fail; each month they will bear a fresh crop because the water comes from the Temple. The fruit will be good to eat and the leaves will be used for healing.
12 Near the river on both banks there will be all kinds of fruit trees with foliage that will not wither and fruit that will never fail; each month they will bear a fresh crop because the water comes from the Temple. The fruit will be good to eat and the leaves will be used for healing.

Where ever the waters of Baptism flows life abounds. When God dwells there is fruitfulness, abundance and wholesome goodness. The grace that flows from Your side Beloved, adorns, sanctifies and makes strong and beautiful Your Bride the Church.

1 Corinthians 9-11, 16-17
9 We are fellow-workers with God, but you are God’s field and building.
10 I, as a good architect, according to the capacity given to me, I laid the foundation, and another is to build upon it. Each one must be careful how to build upon it. 11 No one can lay a foundation other than the one which is already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit abides within you? 17 If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him. God’s tem­ple is holy, and you are this tem­ple.
16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit abides within you? 17 If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him. God’s tem­ple is holy, and you are this tem­ple.


I belong to God in Christ Jesus. My body is the temple of His Holy Spirit. I have been purchased. I no longer belong to myself and any one who harms me is answerable to God.

John 2:13-22
13 As the Passover of the Jews was at hand, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the Temple court he found merchants selling oxen, sheep and doves, and money-changers seated at their tables. 15 Making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the Temple court, together with the oxen and sheep. He knocked over the tables of the money-changers, scattering the coins, 16 and ordered the people sell­ing doves, “Take all this away and stop turning my Father’s house into a marketplace!”
17 His disciples recalled the words of Scripture: Zeal for your House devours me as a fire.
18 The Jews then questioned Jesus, “Where are the miraculous signs which give you the right to do this?” 19 And Jesus said, “Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.” 20 The Jews then replied, “The building of this temple has already taken forty-six years, and you will raise it up in three days?” 21 Actually, Jesus was referring to the temple of his body. 22 Only when he had risen from the dead did his disciples remember these words; then they believed both the Scripture and the words Jesus had spoken.

As long as we live in the flesh we will be attacked on every side by the culture, by the flesh and by the devil. We will be weak and fall prey to every temptation. But if we live a life dependant on the Holy Spirit, if we allow Him free reign over our entire being, if we permit the Holy Spirit to take control of our lives and direct our way and will, only then can we stop our bodies from serving as a market place for corruption. Jesus can get rid of every vice through the Sacrament of Reconciliation and He can once more take possession of the temple of our body where God alone is glorified.

Psalm 46:3-6, 8, 11
3 We will not fear, therefore,
though the earth be shaken
and the mountains plunge into the seas,
4 though its waters foam and roar,
though the mountains quake and totter.
For the Lord of hosts is with us,
the God of Jacob, our stronghold.
5 There is a river whose streams bring joy to the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
6 God is within, the city cannot quake,
for God’s help is upon it at the break of day.
8 For with us is the Lord of hosts,
11 Be still, know that I am God.
I am exalted among the nations,
exalted over the earth!
God of Jacob, our refuge.
11 Be still, know that I am God.
I am exalted among the nations,
exalted over the earth!
God of Jacob, our refuge.

As the Psalmist rightly says, if You are with us nothing that the world throws at us can shake us. With You as our cornerstone and the 12 apostles as the foundation,we are invincible. We may be attacked by the enemy from within and without but Your promise stands firm for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment