Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Luke 5:4, 10, 11, Proverbs 30:5-9, Luke 9:1-6, Psalm 119:29, 72, 89, 101, 163

Luke 5:4, 10, 11
When he had finished speaking he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch.”
10 Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. You will catch people from now on.”
11 So they brought their boats to land and followed him, leaving everything.

To every Christian is given the mission to put out into the deep.  To leave behind the old, the familiar, the lethargy and launch out into unknown and unfamiliar territory.  You will supply all that is required, all You  need is a willing heart, willing hands and willing feet.  A heart to love, hands to serve and feet to go where You send us.

Proverbs 30:5-9
5 Every word of God is true, he is a shield in whom man can find refuge.
6 Add nothing to his words lest he rebuke you and take you for a liar.
7 O God, two things I beg of you, do not deny me them before I die.
8 Keep lying and falsehood far away from me, give me neither poverty nor riches. Give me just as much food as I need lest,
 9 satisfied, I deny you and say, “Who is Yahweh?” Or else, out of necessity, I steal and profane the name of my God.

Ofcourse Beloved, every word of God is true that is why Your Name is Truth.  How comforting it is to know that You are my shield, my rock, my refuge, my stronghold.
Here is a solemn warning for those who would like to shape the truth to suit the fashion of the day.  In a culture of, 'give me,' 'I must have,' and 'give me more,' here is a sober reminder of how to ask for what we need.

Luke 9:1-6
9 1 Then Jesus called his twelve disciples and gave them power and authority to drive out all evil spirits and to heal diseases. 2 And he sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He instructed them, “Don’t take anything for the journey, neither walking stick, nor bag, nor bread, nor silver coins; and don’t even take a spare tunic. 4 Whatever house you enter, remain there until you leave that place. 5 And wherever they don’t welcome you, leave the town and shake the dust from your feet: it will be as a testimony against them.”  6 So they set out and went through the villages, proclaiming the good news and healing peo­ple everywhere.

Beloved, it is always You who calls, You who gives all that is necessary to carry out the mission.  You instruct, giving the ones You send a code of conduct.  Once You have prepared us for the journey, we must be ready to go forth in faith, confidence and loving trust knowing that it is Your work that we set out do do.  We are only Your servants and messengers witnessing to the Good News that in You all are saved.

Psalm 119:29, 72, 89, 101, 163
29 Keep me away from deceitful paths; be gracious and teach me your law.
72 Your law is more precious to me than heaps of silver and gold.
89 O Lord, your word stands forever, firmly fixed in the heavens.
101 I turn my feet from evil paths, that I may keep step with your word.
163 I hate and abhor falsehood, but I love your law.

Each verse of this Psalm has something powerful to say.

Verse 29: If we obey the Church and her teachings, we will not be led into deceitful paths where the truth is diluted to conform to the dictates of the world. 
Verse 72: We work for the Kingdom of God, our treasure is in heaven.  We must never compromise the truth in order to gain an earthly one. We work for neither riches, popularity or human respect.
Verse 89: Your Name is Truth - Your Word is unchanging  and it is on this Rock that we stand firm without fear of falling or stumbling.
Verse 101: There are a myriad false gods and false teachers in the world.  There are many who are unscrupulous and  half informed who deceitfully  or ignorantly use Your Name to preach false doctrines.  However, if we are guided by Your Word as revealed in Sacred Scripture and are obedient and faithful to the Magisterium that zealously guards the rich deposit of Apostolic  Tradition, we will not stumble and fall and neither will those who hear us.
Verse 163:  How  true Lord, You have taught me so much and I stand on sure ground because I know the truth and I am now led by  it.  It influences my thoughts and actions. 

Your Law  is a lamp to my heart and a light to my feet.  It keeps me safe and unafraid,  I can trust it always.  Thank You Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment