Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Luke 7:48, 50, Galatians 1:13-24, Luke 10:38-42, Psalm 139:1-3, 13-15

Luke 7:48, 50
48 Then Jesus said to the wo­man, “Your sins are forgiven.” 50 But Jesus again spoke to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”


Beloved, this is what happens every time we go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation. You say these same words to the penitent and we believe in faith that as You have said, so it is and we can go back and begin again in peace and tranquility. Stronger than we were and better armed to meet and vanquish temptation with Your help.



Galatians 1:13-24
13 You have heard of my previous activity in the Jewish community; I furiously persecuted the Church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 For I was more devoted to the Jewish religion than many fellow Jews of my age, and I defended the tra­ditions of my ancestors more fanatically.
15 But one day God called me out of his great love, he who had chosen me from my mother’s womb; and he was pleased 16 to reveal in me his Son, that I might make him known among the pagan nations. Then I did not seek human advice 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me. I immediately went to Arabia, and from there I returned again to Damascus. 18 Later, after three years, I went up to Je­ru­salem to meet Cephas, and I stayed with him for fifteen days. 19 But I did not see any other apostle except James, the Lord’s brother. 20 On writing this to you, I affirm before God that I am not lying.
21 After that I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 The churches of Christ in Judea did not know me personally; 23 they had only heard of me: “He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith he tried to uproot.” 24 And they praised God because of me.




You have called us all from the beginning. There is a divine plan for our lives. Each is called to spreach Your light and frangrance wherever we are without exception. God must be praised when anyone looks at us. May it be so for all who are called Christians.

Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he entered a village and a woman called Martha welcomed him to her house. 39 She had a sister named Mary who sat down at the Lord’s feet to listen to his words. 40 Martha, meanwhile, was busy with all the serving and finally she said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all the serving?”
41 But the Lord answered, “Mar­tha, Martha, you worry and are troubled about many things, 42 whereas only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the better part, and it will not be taken away from her.”



Beloved, sitting at Your feet as Mary did and listening to You is comptemplative prayer. It is not being busy even in our thoughts. We bring all our senses to focus on You and what You are saying. Tomes have been written on prayer - all kinds of prayer but it is really very simple as Your pointed out when You pointed to Mary. Thank You my Lord for giving me this message today when I needed it, particularly because I was getting anxious about whether or not I was praying as I ought. You are truly most loving and tender and I love You.



Psalm 139:1-3, 13-15
1 O Lord, you know me:
you have scrutinized me.

15 Even my bones were known to you
when I was being formed in secret,
fashioned in the depths of the earth.



Lord, You know me. You not only know me, You have scrutinized me. Wow. How pitiful I must seem to You when I try to hide my sins from You. It is comforthing to know that I can be myself with You. I need not play game and pretend to be what I am not.


2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
beforehand you discern my thoughts.



Before hand You discern my thoughts - imagine that. Even before I can think something You know it. That out to make me pause and control my thoughts especially the ones that are mean spirited and uncharitable. If I nip these thoughts even before they bloom in my mind, it would keep me from sin.


3 You observe my activities and times of rest;
you are familiar with all my ways.



You are familiar with all my ways. I like that. Like an old married couple - You know my likes and dislikes. You accept them. You know that I am an early morning person and that by the time it is 8 in the evening I am quite happy to say goodnight and go to sleep.


13 It was you who formed my inmost part
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I thank you for these wonders you have done,
and my heart praises you for your marvelous deeds.


If I spent every waking moment singing Your praises it would still not be enough, but what would please You more my Beloved is if I lived my life like a child before You. Open, simple, confident and trustful. To avoid the near ocassion of sin even in thought. To hole back the uncharitable thought even before it takes shape in my mind and is expressed to another. Every sharing about someone absent must be kind and pleasing to You.


It would behoove me well to remember, that if I cannot find something positive or nice to say about anyone, it would be better for me to say nothing at all, knowing that it would be displeasing to my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment