Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Luke 4:18-19, 21-22 & 28-30

THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HAS MADE


1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1 When I came to reveal to you the mystery of God’s plan I did not count on eloquence or on a show of learning. 2 I was determined not to know anything among you but Jesus, the Messiah, and a crucified Messiah. 3 I myself came weak, fearful and trembling; 4 my words and preaching were not brilliant or clever to win listeners. 5 It was, rather, a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might be a matter, not of human wisdom, but of God’s power.

Beloved, I have often gone on and on about how I wish I had the gift of words to write eloquently and here St. Paul reminds me that eloquence and learning mean nothing apart from knowing You and Your life, passion, death and glorious resurrection.  In this alone lies the power and wisdom of the Triune God, all the rest is meaningless.

Luke 4:18-19, 21-22 & 28-30
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me. He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, to proclaim liberty to captives and new sight to the blind; to free the oppressed 19 and announce the Lord’s year of mercy.”
21 Then he said to them, “Today these prophetic words come true even as you listen.”
22 All agreed with him and were lost in wonder, while he kept on speaking of the grace of God.
28 On hearing these words, the whole assembly became indignant. 29 They rose up and brought him out of the town, 30 to the edge of the hill on which Nazareth is built, intending to throw him down the cliff. But he passed through their midst and went His way.

All we need to remember Beloved, when witnessing to You is that You have passed Your misison of salvation to us. You gave us the same Spirit.  If we keep You as the focus of our witness than all eyes will be drawn to us as well.  Everyday these prophetic verses become a reality tonew believers.  We often get carried away by the power of t he Word and it can makes us feel good as we are swayed by its beauty, but when our many sins are brought to light, we become angry.  We do not want to face the truth of our iniquity and we are prepared to kill.  But the Truth cannot be destroyed as You  have so magnificently proved.

No comments:

Post a Comment