Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1 Samuel 1:9-10, 15-18 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8, Mark 1:21-28


1 Samuel 1:9-10, 15-18
After they had eaten and drunk in Shiloh, Hannah stood up not far from Eli, the priest: his seat was beside the doorpost of Yahweh’s house.  Deeply distressed she wept and prayed to Yahweh.  But Hannah answered:  "No,  my lord, I am a woman in great distress, not drunk. I have not drunk wine or strong drink, but I am pouring out my soul before Yahweh.  Do not take me for a bad woman. I was so afflicted that my prayer flowed continuously.”  Then Eli said, “Go in peace and may the God of Israel grant you what you asked for.”  Hannah answered, “Let your maidservant deserve your kindness.” Then she left the temple and when she was at table, she seemed a different woman.

My Beloved, several sentences strike me.  You stand at the right hand of the Father and You see and hear me.  When I cry to You in my distress and pour out my soul continuously before You, Your heart is moved to pity, compassion and kindness and in Your great love You hear and answer me.



1 Samuel 2:1,4-8  -  Hannah’s Prayer
“My heart exults in Yahweh, I feel strong in my God. I rejoice and laugh at my enemies for you came with power to save me. Yahweh alone is holy, no one is like you; there is no Rock like our God.  The bow of the mighty is broken but the weak are girded with strength.  The well-fed must labor for bread but the hungry need work no more.  The childless wife has borne seven children but the proud mother is left alone.  Yahweh is Lord of life and death; he brings down to the grave and raises up.   Yahweh makes poor and makes rich,  he brings low and he exalts.   He lifts up the lowly from the dust,  and raises the poor from the ash heap;  they will be called to the company of princes, and inherit a seat of honor. The earth to its pillars belongs to Yahweh and on them he has set the world.

Hannah's hymn of praise is mine too my Lord for You have been exceedingly good to me.  You have opened Your hand anad given me freely of Your grace and blessings. 


Mark 1:23-28

It happened that a man with an evil spirit was in their synagogue and he shouted, “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are: You are the Holy One of God.” Then Jesus faced him and said with authority, “Be silent and come out of this man!” The evil spirit shook the man violently and, with a loud shriek, came out of him.  All the people were astonished and they wondered, “What is this? With what authority he preaches! He even orders evil spirits and they obey him!” And Jesus’ fame spread throughout all the country of Galilee.

My Beloved Jesus, the sprit of the world draws us away from You.  It is a lying spirit but it has the power to entice us with the temporary goods of the world and draw us away from You.  The spirit of this world and of this age knows exactly who You are and is afraid of You.  It lays traps and snares especially for the youth in the world and seeks to suck their spiritual hunger and replace it with the love of things and for transitory pleasure.  Have mercy O Lord.  Have mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment