Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Luke 16:15,Luke 15:18, Matthew 8:7-8, 10-11, 13

Luke 16:15
What is highly esteemed in human sight is loathsome to God.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And he said to them: You are they who justify yourselves before men, but God knoweth your hearts; for that which is high to men, is an abomination before God.

Revised Standard Version
But he said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts; for what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God. 

Beloved, different versions of this verse brings out its meaning with greater clarity. How true my Lord, we look at the rich, the powerful, the popular, the beautiful exterior and we judge and esteem people based on these frivolous, worldly standards.  The Gospel standards are so different.  The beatitudes tell us most clearly, simply and powerfully what pleases You.

Luke 15:18
18 I will get up and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against God and before you.

Whenever I sin and fall short, may this be my attitude always, to run to You in confession, tell You my sins and receive pardon, strength and reconciliation with You and Your Body, the Church.


Matthew 8:7-8, 10-11, 13
Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
The captain answered, “I am not worthy to have you under my roof. Just give an order and my boy will be healed. 
10 When Jesus heard this he was astonished and said to those who were following him, “I tell you, I have not found such faith in Israel. 11 I say to you, many will come from east and west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob at the feast in the kingdom of heaven; 
13 Then Jesus said to the captain, “Go home now. As you believed, so let it be.” And at that moment his servant was healed.

Beloved, You are always ready to come to us when we call, to meet us at the point of our need.  We see here how the faith of the captain was rewarded.  It is the kind of faith that moves mountains.  The captain did not expect You to come to his home, he believed that all You had to do was speak a word of healing and the Eternal Word full of beauty, grace and power would accomplish the work of God.

Give me this total, childlike faith in You my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment