Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mark 9:35-37, Isaiah 49:1-6, Psalm 139:1-3, 13-15, Luke 1:59-65

Mark 9:35-37

 35 Then he sat down, called the Twelve and said to them, “If someone wants to be first, let him be last of all and servant of all.” 36 Then he took a little child, placed it in their midst, and putting his arms around it he said to them, 37 “Whoever welcomes a child such as this in my name, welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me, welcomes not me but the One who sent me.”
The Gospel principle turns logic on its  head.  If I want to be first then I must make myself the least of all and be ready to serve everyone.  We have to be especially kind to the little ones in order to find favor with You. Those who are helpless, like children must find a welcome and kindness from us in order to for us to to find a welcome from You.
Isaiah 49:1-6

 1 Listen to me, O islands,
pay attention, peoples from distant lands.
Yahweh called me from my mother’s womb;
he pronounced my name before I was born.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword.
He hid me in the shadow of his hand.
He made me into a polished arrow
set apart in his quiver.
He said to me, “You are Israel, my servant,
Through you I will be known.”
“I have labored in vain,” I thought
and spent my strength for nothing.”
Yet what is due me was in the hand of Yahweh,
and my reward was with my God.
I am important in the sight of Yahweh,
and my God is my strength.
5 And now Yahweh has spoken,
he who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
to gather Israel to him.
He said: “It is not enough
that you be my servant,
to restore the tribes of Jacob,
to bring back the remnant of Israel.
I will make you the light of the nations,
that my salvation will reach to the ends of the earth.”

Once again, You affirm to me that the entire plan of salvation was formed in the heart of the Abba, Father.  He it is who chooses, it is He who forms, it is He who sets the course and it is His love that sets the whole plan into motion.  He brings into fulfillment and He joyously celebrates with us the fruit of His plan Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  

Psalm139:1-3, 13-14
 O Lord, you know me:
you have scrutinized me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
beforehand you discern my thoughts.
You observe my activities and times of rest;
you are familiar with all my ways.
13 It was you who formed my inmost part
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I thank you for these wonders you have done,
and my heart praises you for your marvelous deeds.
15 Even my bones were known to you
when I was being formed in secret,
fashioned in the depths of the earth.

I rejoice in the knowledge that You know me intimately. Nothing is hidden from You. Knowing me Lord, You know how weak and helpless I am and this very helplessness moves You to loving compassion for me.  

Luke 1:59-65

59 When on the eighth day they came to attend the circumcision of the child, they wanted to name him Zechariah after his father. 60 But his mother said, “Not so; he shall be called John.” 61 They said to her, “No one in your family has that name”; 62 and they asked the father by means of signs for the name he wanted to give. 63 Zecha riah asked for a writing tablet and wrote on it, “His name is John,” and they were very surprised. 64 Immediately Zecha riah could speak again and his first words were in praise of God. 

65 A holy fear came on all in the neighborhood, and throughout the Hills of Judea the people talked about these events. 66 All who heard of it pondered in their minds and wondered, “What will this child be?” For they understood that the hand of the Lord was with him.



In the Gospel we see that if we are obedient You release great power in us to carry out the mission that You have assigned to us.  People normally are surprised and critical when we do not follow the herd but  have the courage of our convictions and live in humble and joyful submission to You, freely choosing to give You authority over us.  It is then that You can do marvellous things in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment