Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

SIRACH 18:6, 8-11, 13-14, 16-17, PSALM 113:4-6, JOHN 15:9-10, 12-14, 16-17

SIRACH 18:6, 8-11, 13-14, 16-17
6 Nothing can be added to him or taken away; no one can fathom the wonders of the Lord.8 What is man? What is his purpose? What is the good in him and what the bad?9 Take the length of his life: a hundred years is long. 10 Like a drop of water from the sea, a grain of sand, such are his few years compared with eternity.11 For this reason, the Lord has patience with them and pours out his mercy on them.12 He sees and realizes how miserable their end is and so he heaps his forgiveness upon them.13 Man’s mercy is for his neighbor but the compassion of the Lord reaches all people; he rebukes, corrects, teaches and brings back his flock like a shepherd. 14 He takes pity on those who accept correction and eagerly seek his will. 16 Does not dew temper the heat? So, too, a kind word is much better than a gift.17 The gift is not as valuable as the words which accompany it, but a generous man brings both.

Beloved, truly Your Word is a light to my heart and a lamp to my feet. Teach me to meditate on YourWord and to live it - therein lies my joy and peace.

In Acts 1:1:15 We are told that Peter stood up in the midst of the community - as his successors the Popes continue to stand up as head of the Church to lead and guide it.

Psalm 113:4-6
4 The Lord is exalted over the nations,his glory above the heavens.5 Who is like the Lord our God,who sits enthroned on high,6 but also bends down to seeon earth as in heaven?

Beloved, Almighty, Most High God, Your glory fills the heavens and earth and yet You stoop down and and You keep Your gaze on me - leading, loving, guiding, teaching. You expand my inner being in order that I can receive You and allow You to live, move, act and have Your Being in me. Grant me a greater awareness of You and thus allow You in me my Lord in order that I may love You more dearly every day.

John 15:9-10, 12-14, 16-17
9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; remain in my love. 10 You will remain in my love if you keep my commandments.  12 This is my commandment: love one another as I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than this, to give one’s life for one’s friends; 14 and you are my friends if you do what I command you.  16 You did not choose me; it was I who chose you and sent you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last. And everything you ask the Father in my name, he will give you. 17 This is my command, that you love one another.

Beloved, You have loved us as the Father has loved You - which is infinitely. I must love You as You have loved me and I am also called to love my neighbour. You have chosen me and sent me as Your witness.  Beloved, if I am called to be a witness, then I must be faithful to all You have commanded.  You say, "You are my friends if you do what I command you."  It can be hard Lord because I am selfish, proud, lazy egoistic, self-righteous.  I have high expectations of others and I do not take their ignorance and weaknesses into account and make allowances for them. Neither am I charitable in the face of their weaknesses.  You call me to show loving compassion in imitation of You and often I fail miserably.

What a wonderful promise You make Lord, "Everything you ask of the Father in My Name He will give you."  There are no half measures with You my Beloved.  Everything I ask in Your Name will be given to me by the Father PROVIDED I love You and I love my neighbour.  Help me Lord to be all that You call me to be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment